Attention all you Twitter fans! Have you heard about Meerkat? If you are an avid Twitter user than you probably have since it has been mentioned a lot this month. For those of you who have not we are here to open your eyes to it. Meerkat allows you to stream live video from your phone to all of your Twitter followers at once. Press ‘Stream’, and instantly your live video stream shows up in your follower’s Twitter feeds. When your followers have the app, they will also get a push notification that you are live streaming. They can watch, comment and interact within the app. Pretty cool, huh? Like, anything else out there it does have some rules:
- Everything that happens on Meerkat happens on Twitter.
- Streams will be pushed to followers in real time via push notifications.
- People can only watch it live. There are no reruns.
- You can save your streams to your phone, but Meerkat will never keep them.
- Watchers can retweet any stream to their followers in real time.
- Everyone can watch on web.
- Be kind.
We have tried it and it is super easy to figure out. Just install the app, after connecting Meerkat with your Twitter account, you’ve got two options: stream and schedule. Stream lets you immediately broadcast live straight from your camera to the internet and schedule is exactly how it sounds. You also have “following” and “followers” just like Twitter.
On Thursday March 26th, Twitter announced their new app Periscope, which is very much like Meerkat. It lets you live-stream video of your life from your smartphone to anyone in the world. Only a few days old and Meerkat has already made some changes, nothing big but now you can:
- Get recommendations of people to follow.
- There is a new way to follow people from inside streams.
- There are ways to discover streams your friends like.
Meerkat is definitely not going to let Periscope get them down. Props for them getting on the ball and changing things up so soon, especially since they are still new themselves. Whether this is your thing or not, we recommend installing the app. You may learn to love it!